[ADMB Users] How to use Autodif as a regular external C++ library?

Pedro Tabacof tabacof at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 12:38:50 PDT 2012

Hello,

I've been searching for automatic differentiation tools and I found ADMB's
Autodif to be quite what I needed. However, I've been having some problems
regarding its use from a regular C++ application.

All the step-by-step manuals on the website show how to use the command
prompt program "admb" (which tested just fine here), but I wanna use
Autodif inside a large C++ project, a little bit like its manual shows, by
including headers (in this case fvar.hpp) to the source code and using the
corresponding classes for automatic differentiation (such as dvector).

The problem is that the compiler complains (rightly so) that all the
classes declared by fvar.hpp are undefined references. There are many
libraries that come with ADMB, so how am I supposed to know which ones are
required by Autodif classes? Is there any manual or guide that may shine a
light on this? Is it even possible to do what I'm attempting to do?

Thanks a lot,
Pedro Tabacof,
State University of Campinas, Brazil.