[ADMB Users] ADMB error- function maximizer failed (couldnt find STD file)

Nathan Svoboda nsvoboda at CFR.MsState.Edu
Tue Sep 4 09:32:35 PDT 2012

Greetings glmmADMB users,

I am trying to run a series of models using the glmmADMB function with several different distribution families (e.g., poisson, negbinom). I am using a Optiplex 790 PC with Windows 7, 16.0 GB of RAM and a 64-bit operating system. I am running R version 2.15.0 and started out using the most recent version of glmmADMB (I believe version 7.2.15).  My data is zero inflated count data that is overdispersed.  When I ran the following code for either a zero inflated poisson (family="poisson") or a neg binomial (i.e., family="nbinom"):
fit_zipoiss1 <- glmmadmb(LOCS~D_ROADS + (1|YEAR) , data=FAWNS, zeroInflation=TRUE, family="poisson", mcmc=TRUE)
I get the error:
Error in glmmadmb(LOCS ~ D_ROADS + (1 | YEAR), data = FAWNS, zeroInflation = TRUE,  :
The function maximizer failed (couldn't find STD file)

I tried setting the number of mcmc iterations by running the following code:
fit_zipoiss <- glmmadmb(LOCS~D_ROADS + (1|YEAR) , data=FAWNS, zeroInflation=TRUE,
family="poisson", mcmc=TRUE, mcmc.opts=mcmcControl(mcmc=50000))
but again received the same "Function maximizer...." error.

As suggested by previous users (specifically Ben Bolker) I downloaded an earlier version of glmmADMB ("glmmADMB_0.7.tar.gz") and re-ran the same models (e.g., poisson and neg. binomial) and received the same error. As suggested by Mr. Bolker and others I also tried running both a poisson and neg. binomial model with "admb.opts=admbControl(shess=FALSE,noinit=FALSE) " and received the same error.

I am not sure if an even older version of glmmADMB (i.e., glmmADMB v. 0.6.5) would work as it seems to have worked for others but I am unsure of where I can find this version?

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Nate Svoboda

Nathan Svoboda
Graduate Research Assistant
Mississippi State University