[ADMB Users] compiling a TPL file in a different directory?

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 08:03:51 PST 2013

On 13-02-06 10:46 AM, dave fournier wrote:
> I don't think the code to do that has written itself yet.

  OK, then, I was going to suggest a fix to the documentation (faster
and easier than waiting for the code to write itself ...) ... but then I
couldn't actually find the documentation for the basics of getting
started *running* ADMB.

  I can find documentation for installing ADMB at
http://www.admb-project.org/documentation/installation

  I can find user manuals at
http://www.admb-project.org/documentation/manuals/admb-user-manuals ,
but after going through the ADMB user manual (relatively quickly, I
admit) I can't find anywhere it actually tells me how to *run* an ADMB
model -- it's all about writing the TPL file.  The closest thing I can
find is chapter 12, which is a list of command-line options.  I can't
find a "getting started" section anywhere ...

  By the way, I tried to compile the manual myself from the SVN: for
future reference, I had to

* 'make' in docs/manuals/admbmanual to create admbmanual.cls; copy it to
docs/manuals/admb
* copy ADMB-logo.png from the manuals/share directory (there may be a
better way to do this)

  Then it works, although it's using fonts that are a tiny bit ugly when
compiled on my (Ubuntu 10.04) system.

   Should I write a couple of "getting started" pages for the manual?
Or is there "getting started" material elsewhere that I've overlooked?

  Ben Bolker