[ADMB Users] very small number math

Fowler, Mark Mark.Fowler at dfo-mpo.gc.ca
Wed Mar 6 11:36:34 PST 2013

Hello,

I think I've hit a precision limit, looking for a solution along the
same sort of lines as posfun or mfexp. My program stops (no error
message) in a loop when a particular equation attempts to divide 19616.8
by 7.57411e-154. The preceding iteration worked with 21666/5.73085e-132.
These are silly starting estimates of a value which will get reasonable
with a little fitting, I just want to accept a maximal result instead of
bombing. In this case I can just use a min function on the denominator,
but wonder if there isn't a conventional approach for this situation,
say defining a minimum number threshold.

		Mark Fowler
		Population Ecology Division
		Bedford Inst of Oceanography
		Dept Fisheries & Oceans