[ADMB Users] very small number math

Larry Jacobson (NOAA Federal) larry.jacobson at noaa.gov
Mon Mar 11 11:58:04 PDT 2013

This came up recently here at NEFSC. One of the things we decided is
that VPA solutions might be hard to find in admb because the parameters
(terminal F or abundances) in the vicinity of the best solutions could
have flat gradients.  The gradients might be flat because of the
convergence properties of the VPA (Chris Legault pointed this out).
That is, asmall tweak to one of these parameters (say the initial F/N
for the youngest age group or for the oldest true age) can have little
effect on the model or on the objective function. I don't know for sure
but guess this would happen whether you were solving for F internally or
as a formal parameter.

Cheers!

Larry Jacobson
National Marine Fisheries Service