[ADMB Users] ADMB V11.0 build (compile/link) time using MinGW or Visual C++ 2010 Express in Windows 7 (32 bit) - very slow - suggestions to speed it up??

Larry Jacobson (NOAA Federal) larry.jacobson at noaa.gov
Thu Mar 21 09:46:14 PDT 2013

Cheers!

Does anyone how to reduce build time using the free MinGW or free Visual
C++ 2010 Express compilerswith ADMB 11.0 and Windows 7?

A large program that used to compile with the free Borland 5.5 compiler
in about 30 seconds takes  two minutes with MinGW and seven minutes with
Visual C++ 2010 Express.

I am using a 32 bit machine with a dual core 3.3 GHZ processor and 4 GB
of RAM.  I have virus software (McAffe) running in the background (can't
escape due to lab policies but probably could exclude one or more
directories).

Task manager says that both compilers (cc1plus.exe or cl.exe) are using
an entire processor so I don't think competition with other processes is
the issue.

Thanks and cheers!

--
Larry Jacobson