[ADMB Users] Please test updated installation documentation.

Jon Schnute schnutej-dfo at shaw.ca
Sat Nov 16 17:42:41 PST 2013

Further to my previous message, I have now tried the same experiment using
the version 11.1 source code, rather than ADMB-latest. I discovered that
this version produces a much smaller Unix tree in the directory
..\admb\utilities\mingw, so I used the ..\mingw tree that I downloaded from
the latest. (I just replaced the 11.1 ..\mingw directory with the new one
obtained today.) Then I tried to make the 11.1 binary ADMB library as
before, and again the process failed while trying to compile 'amoeba.cpp'.

Does amoeba.cpp require something special? Are both of you getting this same
problem? I'm taking care to ensure that nothing on my path would override
the Unix tools at ..\admb\utilities\mingw.

Incidentally, for step 5 I used '\utilities\make' rather than 'make' as
stated in my previous message. On this point, why do you use a possibly old
version of 'make' embedded in the ADMB source code, rather than the version
of 'make' that currently comes with mingw/msys?

These problems help illustrate the reasons that I flagged this as an
important issue. I'm not blaming anyone, but I hope you'll stay with this
until the problems are resolved.

Jon

PS - I really sympathize with Dave's question: "Doesn't anyone test this
stuff?" I think the ADMB project needs some volunteer testers who at least
check each new release on each OS. I'm trying to play that role in this
exercise, at least for the Windows OS.

PPS - I wonder why the version of mingw that Dave obtained yesterday worked,
whereas the version obtained with get-mingw.bat appears not to.