[ADMB Users] Please test updated installation documentation - Bug still not fixed

Jon Schnute schnutej-dfo at shaw.ca
Wed Nov 20 19:18:44 PST 2013

Thanks, Ian. It's great to have multiple checks. Unfortunately, I can't
replicate your results. The attempt to build ADMB failed for me.

I used your link to obtain admb-r1353-src.zip, then I followed the detailed
instructions at:

http://www.admb-project.org/buildbot/documentation/quickstartwindows.html

In particular, I installed mingw with "get-mingw.bat". When I attempted to
build ADMB, the process worked for a while, but then crashed with these
final steps:

****************** Start of final output

*** adcomp     ad2csv

g++ -c   -O3 -D__GNUDOS__  -Dlinux -DSAFE_ALL -DUSE_LAPLACE -fpermissive -I.
-I"

C:\admb\build\dist\include" -I"C:\admb\build\dist\contrib\include" -o
ad2csv.obj

ad2csv.cpp

*** adcomp     main

g++ -c   -O3 -D__GNUDOS__  -Dlinux -DSAFE_ALL -DUSE_LAPLACE -fpermissive -I.
-I"

C:\admb\build\dist\include" -I"C:\admb\build\dist\contrib\include" -o
main.obj m

ain.cpp

*** adlink      ad2csv.obj main.obj

g++ -static   -s  -static  -o ad2csv.exe  ad2csv.obj main.obj
"C:\admb\build\dis

t\contrib\lib\libcontrib.a" "C:\admb\build\dist\lib\libadmb.a"

C:\admb\build\dist\contrib\lib\libcontrib.a: could not read symbols: Archive
has

no index; run ranlib to add one

collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status

Error: Unable to build executable.

make[3]: *** [all] Error 1

make[3]: Leaving directory `C:/admb/contrib/ad2csv'

make[2]: *** [build-ad2csv] Error 2

make[2]: Leaving directory `C:/admb/contrib'

make[1]: *** [all] Error 2

make[1]: Leaving directory `C:/admb/src'

make: *** [g++-all] Error 2

****************** End of final output

I'm not sure that I'm reading this correctly, but it appears to me that a
contributed library (ad2csv) has a bug. Odd that this worked for you but not
for me.

Thanks to everyone for your persistence with all this.

Jon