[ADMB Users] Using asin with df1b2variables

Ben Stevenson bcs5 at st-andrews.ac.uk
Sat Oct 19 18:51:31 PDT 2013

Hi Dave,

You're right, there is nothing wrong with asin(). It performs exactly as
one would expect, I was not suggesting otherwise. The problem still remains
of calculating a bearing in the range (0, 2*pi) between two locations that
are defined by df1b2variables. The way I describe above appears to work but
just seems really messy. Good point about an animal moving exactly north,
though, I hadn't thought of that. Presumably so long as I keep the start
values away from a north bearing I should be OK; I'd imagine it'd be very
bad luck for a bearing to be allocated as exactly north during the
optimisation.

Cheers,

Ben