[ADMB Users] R2admb compile problem

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Mon Oct 21 06:43:23 PDT 2013

On 13-10-21 05:48 AM, Ben Stevenson wrote:
> Hi Allan,
>
> Given that ADMB seems to be working fine on its own, you're probably
> better off asking this question to an R2admb package maintainer as only
> a few people here use R2admb.
>
> R2admb uses the system() R function to in order to compile the .tpl
> file. My guess is that it is not finding the admb command, and this will
> be something to do with environment variables. What happens when you run
> system("admb") in R? Do you get an error saying about the admb command
> not being found? This would confirm my suspicion.
>
> If this is the case, find where the admb binary is on your system. From
> the output of setup_admb, my guess is that it's in
> c:\\ADMB\\admb101-gcc452-win64\\bin. If you call Sys.getenv("PATH"),
> does this directory appear?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ben

  I am the R2admb package maintainer -- I saw this message go by on the
R mailing list as well.

The only clue I have here is that something is going wrong with the
linking -- that's what's indicated by the last line you included in your
R-help message,

 'collect2: ld returned 1 exit status'

  Can you provide more of the 'verbose' output?  I wonder if there is an
environment variable related to linking that's set in your external
environment but not within R.  (Do you have spaces in any of your path
names ... ?)

  You can respond to the list or e-mail me off-list (my e-mail is
available via maintainer("R2admb") ...