[ADMB Users] -lprof

John Sibert sibert at hawaii.edu
Sun Jul 20 14:03:11 PDT 2014

Ugh.

The variable I'm trying to profile has a pretty low estimated standard
deviation. From the .std file:
>     87   natural_mortality 1.5239e-01 7.8301e-03
By fiddling with the model structure and the lprof control variables, it
will sometimes work, but the resulting profile plot is pretty strange.
See attached.

I'm working to track down the problem, but even simplifying the model it
is slow going because of the need to compute the Hessian every time.

The contents of diags is:
> f$ cat diags
> tempint1
>        inf       inf       inf       inf       inf inf       inf
> inf       inf
> m(2)
>        inf       inf       inf       inf       inf inf       inf
> inf       inf
> m(3)
>      0.882     0.956     0.989     0.999         1     0.999 0.989
> 0.956     0.882
> xdistance
>  1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1

Changing exp to mfexp for the computation of tempint1 in newmodmn.cpp
seem to help a bit, but does not solve the problem. I think the cause
occurs earlier, but I'm having trouble tracking it down.

Does anyone really use this option? It seems like a good option to
diagnose an ill-defined parameter when MCMC would take too long.

Would it discomfort other users to change the way the procedure composes
the file name from the variable name?

John

John Sibert
Emeritus Researcher, SOEST