[Developers] More informative Hessian info in ADMB-RE

Hans Julius Skaug Hans.Skaug at math.uib.no
Thu Aug 13 06:53:41 PDT 2009

 <<df1b2qnm_develop.cpp>> Hi,

Currently the message "Hessian type=2" is printed
under execution of random effects models. I think
a more direct message would be useful, especially
for new users. My suggestion is messages such as

Block diagonal Hessian (Block size = 3)

or

Banded Hessian (Bandwidth = 2)

The numbers confirms that the model structure has been
correctly picked up.

I have tried to implement this (see attached),
but before I submit the code it would be nice if
somebody could have a look (my code is in the lines 284-305):

        switch(lapprox->hesstype)
        {
        case 1:
          cout << "Hessian type 1 " << endl;
          break;
        case 2:
          cout << "\n Block diagonal Hessian (Block size = ?)\n"<< endl;
		//<< (*lapprox->block_diagonal_hessian).indexmax() << endl;
          break;
        case 3:
          cout << "Banded Hessian (Band width = " << lapprox->bw << ")" << endl;
          break;
        case 4:
          cout << "Hessian type 4 " << endl;
          break;
        default:
          cerr << "This can't happen" << endl;
          ad_exit(1);
        }

I think this should be straight forward code,

Also, I did not manage to print the block size for Hesstype==2.
Dave (or anybody else): Could you tell me how to do this?

Hans