[Developers] ADMB-IDE licensing

John Sibert sibert at hawaii.edu
Tue May 12 10:11:17 PDT 2009

If you are distributing Emacs and GCC or any other GPL product, you are
obliged to license the whole thing as GPL, regardless of how anything
else is licensed. And your users may also be obliged to release whatever
they create with your software under a GPL license.

That is why many people dislike GPL and why we chose BSD for ADMB. It is
a sort of religious struggle in the open source software world. So I
would hope that you could find a way to release your package under BSD also.

You might want to verify the licenses on GCC and Emacs. As I recall, GCC
is released under LGPL (Lesser Gnu Public License). The LGPL may be less
restrictive than GPL, but the question has apparently never been brought
before a (United States) court.

My advice would be not to include anything in your package distributed
under GPL. LGPL may be OK. So please check it.

John