[Developers] Modification to input of -cbs and -gbs

Allan.Hicks at noaa.gov Allan.Hicks at noaa.gov
Thu Aug 19 20:22:18 PDT 2010

Hi John,

We posted the document on the compilers page of the benchmarks page of
the community page (reminds me about my promise to work on the website
design).

http://admb-project.org/community/benchmarks/compilers

Ian and I have been learning a lot about 64-bit, but we do not
understand enough of the nuances to really get a feeling for the
difficulty of porting ADMB to 64-bit.  What we do know, is that changing
a a few 'int' data types to 'long' for variables that read in command
line values allowed us to input values larger than 2^31 and Linux was
able to allocate over 12Gb of memory to a SS3 model.  So, it seemed to
work, although we have not done any thorough testing or comparisons.

Thanks for the link.  It is very interesting and helps me understand
things a little better (I'm particularly concerned that 32-bit systems
turn the date negative in 2038.  I'll start preparing for Y2-38 now.).
My opinion is that the simple changes we made allow ADMB to work with
more memory in the Linux environment.  However, the Windows environment
would take a lot of work because everything in the cmpdiff stack and
gradstack would have to be recoded as 'long long' (from what I
understand of these concepts in ADMB).

Thanks again for your input and I look forward to further discussions
with the developers.  I am not sure if this is an issue with other
users, but I know that a few of us doing assessments in SS3 with
multiple areas, fleets, ages, sexes, etc are beginning to push the
limits of 32-bit systems.  I feel that this may not be as high of a
priority as parallelization, but in terms of future requirements to keep
up with other optimization options, moving to 64-bit may be a necessity.
 In the short term, it may be useful to at least warn a user when an
input value exceeds INT_MAX in a 32-bit system.  There is code in place
to do this, but it doesn't always work due to the reading of a command
line value in as 'int' before the comparison.

Allan