[Developers] ADMB source code

Arni Magnusson arnima at hafro.is
Tue Aug 24 09:03:07 PDT 2010

Thanks for clarifying this, John.

My interpretation of the plan you outlined is that (1) we aim to open
anonomymous read-only access to the SVN repository around December,
similar to

   svn co svn://gcc.gnu.org/svn/gcc/trunk gcc
   svn co https://svn.r-project.org/R/trunk R

and

   http://gcc.gnu.org/viewcvs/trunk/
   https://svn.r-project.org/R/trunk/

(2) In the meantime, users like Allan/Ben/Ian/Jon can apply for read-only
or even write access to the SVN repository. Once Johnoel creates an
account for them, they can get the current source code via

   svn co svn+ssh://shibi.soest.hawaii.edu/admb/trunk admb-trunk

A snapshot of the source code from previous releases (now 9.1) will always
be available, but that obelisk is not nearly as useful as read-only
access, when it comes to user participation in ADMB development, and
maintenance of packages like PBSadmb and R2admb.

---

My experience from submitting code to the R base packages is that
read-only access is enough for most contributions. When I suggested
extensions of bxp(), for example, Martin Mächler responded positively and
worked on implementation details with me, before committing my changes.
Likewise, Kurt Hornik liked my idea of creating aggregate.formula() and
committed that function after we had modified it a bit. These cases
involved 20-40 lines of code each, plus documentation, but the same would
apply if there had been hundreds of lines. Write access would not have
been useful, as dialogue with a development team member was a part of the
process anyway. Having access to the current source code was critical,
however, so I could test if the code would actually work.

User participation in the development of ADMB is already taking place, and
we can expect it to increase (and become more efficient) once we open
read-only access to the SVN repository.

Arni