[Developers] Running ADMB with separate exe and data dirs

Arni Magnusson arnima at hafro.is
Thu Nov 4 18:08:56 PDT 2010

Hi all,

Ben raises an interesting question, regarding the behavior of ADMB when
running a model with the executable and data in separate directories.

I think the reason the glmmADMB binaries are copied to the temporary
directory before running them is because ADMB executable models create
some "garbage", and R packages shouldn't create any garbage inside the R
library tree. The same cleanliness might be required in other cases when
the same executable is used on many input files - simulations or when
embedding ADMB inside another application.

I use the word "garbage" here for all output files except simple.cor,
simple.par, and simple.std. Clearly, those garbage files do indeed have
value for the modeller, e.g. when debugging a model or accessing precise
numbers related to the estimation.

So here are four experiments describing the behavior of ADMB 9.1, when
running a model with the executable and data in separate directories. The
'exe' directory contains the simple executable and the 'data' directory
contains simple.dat. One experiment involves a 'third' empty directory.

   Experiment #1, from within exe:
   simple -ind ~/data/simple.dat
   => all results created in 'exe', and no files are added to 'data'

   Experiment #2, from within data:
   ~/exe/simple -ind simple.dat
   => useful output in 'exe' and garbage in 'data'

   Experiment #3, from within data:
   ~/exe/simple -ind ~/data/simple.dat
   => useful output in 'exe' and garbage in 'data'

   Experiment #4, from within third:
   ~/exe/simple -ind ~/data/simple.dat
   => useful output in 'exe' and garbage in 'third'

I guess what the user would expect is that in all four cases, all output
files should appear in the same directory as the input data file.

Johnoel, I vaguely remember some earlier discussion on this topic. Will
the new ADMB release have different behavior from the above experiments?

All the best,

Arni