[Developers] ADMB manuals

Arni Magnusson arnima at hafro.is
Sat Jan 29 09:01:30 PST 2011

Hi all,

I was somewhat disappointed with the first impression of the new
ADMB/RE/AUTODIF 10.0 manuals. Illegible raster fonts, version 9.0.0 on the
title page, no date or even year, etc. Over the last couple of days, I
have committed some improvements to the SVN repository and uploaded to
Google Code. The main changes are:

---

* All manuals are now in vector fonts, not raster fonts. Vector fonts are
smooth and legible at all sizes, and are the default output of a properly
configured LaTeX system.

* The main LaTeX files (admb.tex, admbre.tex, autodif.tex) are now 80
columns wide. This is practical when editing LaTeX code with a standard
editor on the left side of the screen, and the PDF document preview on the
right. [SVN rev 958, no changes in PDF output]

* The front page of each manual shows the ADMB version number and release
date. [SVN rev 959]

* No blank pages, and same margins on odd and even pages. These settings
are better when reading the manuals on screen. [SVN rev 960]

* The second page of each manual shows the release info, document history,
and URL. [SVN rev 960]

---

Once the paper in 'Optimization and Methods Software' is published, we can
add a short "Citing ADMB" clause on the second page. Until then, I wrote
"ADMB Foundation, Honolulu" so people can fill the required fields in
their bibliographies.

Many recent improvements in the ADMB manuals (mostly by Dave, Hans, John,
and/or Johnoel) make them more inviting than previous versions, and the
code should also be more approachable in 80 cols.

Arni