[Developers] more clear installation info needed

Jim Ianelli Jim.Ianelli at noaa.gov
Wed Jun 29 11:53:31 PDT 2011

I'll second that.  As one who rarely rtfm, this morning I went to do an
installation on a colleague's machine using the latest version and had a
very frustrating time.

The steps I took (which I think are natural ones...but that's my opinion):
1) went to admb-project.org
2) clicked on downloads
3) saw 9.1 in "navigation panel"
4) thought I should get newer version (maybe a bad thought) so went back
5) clicked on 10.1 released in news but then no live links so cut and
pasted http://www.admb-project.org/downloads
6) got back to step 3)...wtf...
7) went to IDE pages (was what I was after anyway)
8) got 64 bit version
9) installed it on a fast govt 64-bit machine
10) tested it and it ran about 4 times slower than my own personal
laptop running
11) the "new" version also is missing version number when using the -?
option.

Whole thing shouldn't be so crappy.

And why so slow?  Compile times and run times using gcc 4.5.2.

Cheers,
Jim