[Developers] "configure" in trunc

John Sibert sibert at hawaii.edu
Tue Jan 3 10:25:48 PST 2012

Regarding make: The there value of N in make -j N is best left
installation-dependent since it depends on hardware. On a core duo
machine, make -j 4 launches 4 processes in parallel. On the PFRP
workstation, make -j 16 launches 16 processes.  For my own work, I set
up an alias in my .bashrc file on each machine to do the right thing, e.g.
alias make='make -j4'
or
alias make='make -j16'
When I run any procedure involving make, it launches the maximum number
of processes that the hardware supports. Problems sometimes occur when
there are errors making it difficult to know which process caused the
error. When that occurs, I can override the alias by typing make -j1.

Regarding the configure script: It is generated by the default makefile.
Step 3 in README.txt advises:
> 3. Create configure script
>
>    $ make --directory=scripts/configure/

The configure scripts then creates GNUmakefile according to the options
specified (including BUILD_64BIT=yes) which is invoked by make to build
the libraries.

I hope this clarifies things a bit.
Cheers,
John