[Developers] incomplete beta function is broken

dave fournier davef at otter-rsch.com
Wed Jun 27 08:03:09 PDT 2012

As I noted earlier the cephes version of the beta (and probably  log
gamma) functions
appear to lack sufficient smoothess for the random effects stuff.    The
solution is to go
back to the versions based on NR.  However rather than replacing them I
think it would be
easier to simply add the old functions to the package with a slight name
change.
Could use capitals as Betai, Gammln. Then both versions would be
available and
experience would show which are best for various applications.  Any
thoughts?