[Developers] incomplete beta function is broken

John Sibert sibert at hawaii.edu
Wed Jun 27 10:13:23 PDT 2012

I share Dave's concern about simply changing functions. Using capitals
to distinguish versions is one solution. Using a namespace is an
alternative, if vaguely annoying, solution. (I'm annoyed every time in
need to specify a namespace to use cout,) The namepasce Cephes is
already in use. It would make it easy to compare results with the
appropriate using namespace declaration.

More generally, the lack of smoothness is probably a result of the
polynomial approximation. May functions use such approximations. Is this
a commonly encountered problem? Or does it mainly occur at the extremes
of the function's domain?

John

John Sibert
Emeritus Researcher, SOEST