[Developers] 64-bit versions

John Sibert sibert at hawaii.edu
Wed Mar 21 10:39:24 PDT 2012

Johnoel sent me a the following link http://www.viva64.com/en/a/0004/

Form Table N2, I'm guessing the 4Gb file size limit fix works for linux
systems but may not work in windows. I don't have easy access to a 64bit
windows system, so could someone please try it out and let me know?

The viva64 site lists 20 issues converting to 64 bit code. I've added a
star to the ones I think might be a problem in ADMB.

  1. Disabled warnings
  2. Use of functions with a variable number of arguments
  3. Magic numbers
  4. Storing integers in double type
  5. Bit shifting operations
*6. Storing of pointer addresses
  7. Memsize types in unions
  8. Changing an array type
  9. Virtual functions with arguments of memsize type
  10. Serialization and data exchange
  11. Bit fields
*12. Pointer address arithmetic
*13. Arrays indexing
  14. Mixed use of simple integer types and memsize types
  15. Implicit type conversions while using functions
  16. Overloaded functions
  17. Data alignment
  18. Exceptions
  19. Using outdated functions and predefined constants
*20. Explicit type conversions

Mark has registered this issue as a "bug" on the redmine site and
assigned me to the task. It is not really a bug until someone has an
example that fails. So if any one has an example of an ADMB application
that does not work as expected on a 64 bit machine, send it along.

Cheers,
John

--
John Sibert