[Developers] Do you use Borlands compiler? we are considering dropping it.

Arni Magnusson arnima at hafro.is
Fri Mar 23 17:26:16 PDT 2012

Having more than one C++ compiler on the same machine can be problematic,
but there are two ways to go about it.

1. Call me nuts, but I currently have 19 different C++ compilers on my
machine. The best way to "switch" between compilers is to write tiny
simple scripts (like gcc462.bat) that set the environment variables
required by each compiler (only PATH in the case of GCC). Typing 'gcc462'
in a shell will then activate that compiler for that shell session.

For test purposes, I also have 10 ADMB installations on the same machine,
switching between ADMB versions using the same shell scripts. If you
collect shell commands (coreutils etc.) you may also need to keep those
from conflicting, again by using shell scripts.

We can add a short sentence about this to the ADMB installation readme,
pointing to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environment_variable and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batch_file.

2. If you want to make life easy, keep only one C++ compiler on your
machine. If the GCC compiler that came with Rtools is making life
difficult, remove it. When you install Rtools you can uncheck the "R
toolchain" option.

---

If you're looking for a C++ compiler for Windows,
http://admb-project.org/community/related-software/gcc has a few,
originally provided by MinGW and Rtools.

Arni