[Developers] unifying language: "MinGW", "GCC", and "g++"

Ian Taylor ian.taylor at noaa.gov
Mon Mar 26 09:43:32 PDT 2012

Hi Developers,
We currently have a confusing mix of terms to describe some of the compiler
options for ADMB: "MinGW", "GCC", and "g++".

Here's my understanding of the meaning of these terms:

   - GCC currently refers to the Gnu Compiler Collection (formerly to the
   GNU C Compiler).
   - g++ is one of the compilers in GCC (the one that gets used for ADMB)
   - MinGW is the Windows port of GCC

Is it necessary to use all three terms?
I'm trying to update Johnoel's old installation instructions to match the
README file and would like to have things be throughout the ADMB project.

Thanks,
-Ian