[Developers] Test windows install procedure

Jim Ianelli - NOAA Federal jim.ianelli at noaa.gov
Thu Apr 18 16:39:10 PDT 2013

environment strings are not too difficult to deal with.  Since most uses
that are interested in compiling should have proficiency to switch paths as
needed, I think it's good to have the simple approach in the install.

Perhaps as an insurance measure follow these steps:

set oldpath=%path%

then
set PATH=%CD%\utilities\mingw\bin;%CD%\utilities

and if they wish they can do either of the following:

set PATH=%CD%\utilities\mingw\bin;%CD%\utilities;%oldpath%

or

set PATH=%oldpath%

(the latter wouldn't be particularly recommended for admb...perhaps)

Cheers,
Jim

On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 3:54 PM, Johnoel Ancheta <johnoel at hawaii.edu> wrote:

> The main problem with this is the shell is now unusable because
> the PATH is restricted to only two directories.  The user will have
> to open another window to use other command line programs.
>
> On 4/18/13, Arni Magnusson <arnima at hafro.is> wrote:
> > Sorry, I shaved the PATH a bit too short. It should not only include g++
> > but also flex and sed, like so:
> >
> >    set PATH=%CD%\utilities\mingw\bin;%CD%\utilities
> >
> > Like the man said: everything should be kept as simple as possible, but
> no
> > simpler.
> >
> > Arni
> >

> > On Thu, 18 Apr 2013, Arni Magnusson wrote:
> >
> >> The MinGW procedure also crashes on my machine (with different errors
> >> from Matthew's), unless I truncate my path. So instead of
> >>
> >>  set PATH=%CD%\utilities\mingw\bin;%PATH%
> >>
> >> I do
> >>
> >>  set PATH=%CD%\utilities\mingw\bin
> >>
> >> and everything builds fine after that.
> >>
> >> Keeping the original path active triggers conflicts between different
> >> versions of make, different versions of GCC, and other Linux-like
> >> programs. The most reliable way to build ADMB using MinGW is to truncate
> >> the path to the minimum.
> >>
> >> I have committed this change (r987) to INSTALL.txt.
> >>
> >> Arni

James Ianelli
NMFS/NOAA Building 4
7600 Sand Pt Way NE