[Developers] Install - the final steps

Arni Magnusson arnima at hafro.is
Thu Apr 18 19:18:01 PDT 2013

After building a working admb-trunk/build/dist with MinGW, there is
considerable house cleaning left to do:

1. Remove unnecessary directories:

   docs - remove dir
   src - remove dir
   tests - remove dir
   utilities - remove dir

Users are interested in the PDF docs, not the TeX source files. We
probably want to allow users to build ADMB even if they don't have LaTeX
installed. The binary release could include PDF docs.

2. Move ADMB to a permanent location, e.g. from 'dist' to
'c:/admb/admb111-gcc472-win32'.

3. Set ADMB environment variables permanently:

   ADMB_HOME -> c:/admb/admb111-gcc472-win32
   PATH -> %ADMB_HOME%/bin

4. If GCC is not already installed, move the one from
'admb-trunk/utilities/mingw' to 'c:/gnu/gcc472-win32' and add the bin
directory to the permanent PATH.

Only then would I consider ADMB installed and ready for long-term use. The
admb-trunk directory can now be deleted.

These 4 steps are not explained in the current INSTALL.txt. Allan raised
the point that BUILD (from source to binaries) and INSTALL (from binaries
to a setup that's convenient for long-term use) could be explained in
separate files. In other words, the BUILD instructions could end by saying
"Please refer to the INSTALL instructions to finalize the installation".

---

I think it's helpful for everyone to distinguish between the "admb-trunk"
directory and the final installation directories. I have recommended using
directory names like c:/admb/admb110-gcc452-win32 and c:/gnu/gcc452-win32.
The /gnu/ directory also contains other GNU programs like GDB, Emacs, and
R.

These directory names make it clear that GCC is not part of ADMB
(different license) and they also describe what versions are installed.
The names are in fact hardwired in the ADMB-IDE installer, which has made
it feasible to assist a large number of users remotely.

Arni