[Developers] MinGW "nasty problem"

John Sibert sibert at hawaii.edu
Mon Dec 9 10:30:40 PST 2013

Hi Jon,
Thanks for the useful analysis. It certainly clarifies the situation
with respect to MinGW. I''l give your proposed solution a try when Karen
authorizes me to use her computer.

I do not believe, however, that the problem is strictly caused by
MingGW. A bit of quick work searching on the string "there is no disk in
the drive.please insert a disk into drive" reveals that "Microsoft has
confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are
listed at the beginning of this article."
(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330137). Other hits propose editing the
registry to suppress (all?) error messages, eg
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-system/there-is-no-disk-in-the-drive-please-insert-a-disk/c8e0c1bd-18f6-4799-a9fb-67bedff9bc9f
and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7khU0ZY9gBU

It may be that MinGW is not written in a way to avoid this Windows
"feature".

That being said, your proposed software alternatives seem reasonable, at
least to a person who avoids microsoft products as much as possible.

John

John Sibert
Emeritus Researcher, SOEST
University of Hawaii at Manoa