[Developers] MinGW "nasty problem"

Jon Schnute schnutej-dfo at shaw.ca
Mon Dec 9 14:15:38 PST 2013

Hi John (and Johnoel) - Very interesting! I had a different version of my
report in which I blamed Windows for everything. I knew that the weird
message pop-up came from Windows, but some of the MinGW people also claimed
that the hard drive letter I: was embedded in their binary code.

For the record, according to the fellow you cited on YouTube, a real fix
would set the registry value

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Windows
  ErrorMode = 2

from its default 0. Unfortunately, this turns off all error messages, but
that's par for Microsoft. You've probably found a way around the problem.
Thanks!

Despite your antipathy to Windows (which I share), I think it's important
that we get ADMB to work on that platform. Furthermore, we obviously need to
support 64-bit compilers, so that brings us inevitably to MinGW-w64 if we
want to stay within the realm of open source software.

Johnoel, I'd really appreciate knowing your reaction to all this, because it
would significantly change your instructions for a Quick Start on Windows.
Given the response from Wade Cooper this morning, I'm assuming that we have
a viable solution with MinGW-w64 (although it still doesn't work for me).

How does the ADMB foundation go about making a decision like this?

Thanks again,

Jon