[Developers] Google to close Google Code open source project hosting

Arni Magnusson arnima at hafro.is
Thu Mar 12 11:59:35 PDT 2015

The migration to a new download server was discussed at the developer
meeting in Reykjavik, while several ADMB Foundation members were connected
with Skype.

As we bid Google Code farewell, it's worth revisiting some of the points
raised in section 6 of the report
(http://admb-project.org/developers/workshop/reykjavik-2013/5thDevelopersWorkshopReport.pdf)
where we said the following.

[Google Code is obsolete.] It is thus necessary to consider some other way
of making ADMB available for download. An ideal alternative service would
offer the same benefits as Google Code, i.e.:

1. Global mirrors, so 100-200 MB can be downloaded fast

2. Complete history of all items ever uploaded

3. Very clean and simple webpage, with no instructions. Shows only the
    current version of each item by default, but deprecated items can be
    shown as well

4. Download counter for every item

5. Excellent filter and sort facilities. For example, searching "all
    downloads" for "ide" gives a very clear version history of ADMB-IDE.

---

I would rate our current setup (http://ftp.admb-project.org) as:

1. GOOD - no mirrors (only UCSB server) but the download speed in Iceland
    is fine.

2. BAD - no history of releases before 11.2.

3. GOOD - it's simple all right.

4. BAD - no download counter.

5. OKAY - I guess we can place different releases in different directories
    (named 9.1, 10.1, 11.0, 11.1, 11.2, etc.) to make them easy to find.

---

The URL (http://ftp.admb-project.org) is rather odd. HTTP and FTP are two
different protocols - and our current server is HTTP. So using "ftp" in
the URL is misleading and problematic, much like naming an image file
foo.tif when it's actually a jpeg file.

In other words, when I type "ftp.admb-project.org" in a web browser, it
tries for a while and then gives up, because no such FTP server is found.
I think we should either move to a real FTP server and call it
ftp://ftp.admb-project.org, or give the HTTP server a less ambiguous and
less problematic name, such as http://download.admb-project.org.

FTP is very primitive, almost charmingly so. HTTP can serve us better if
the page displays download counters etc.

---

In summary, should we use ftp://ftp.admb-project.org or
http://download.admb-project.org as the main URL? Does anyone know how to
display download counters?

I think the counters are useful for the dev team, as they indicate which
platforms are most important, guiding decisions regarding old (win32) and
experimental (clang or something else) platforms. They also give some idea
about ADMB usage worldwide.

Arni

P.S. After salvaging everything from Google Code, we should make it clear
on the Google Code webpage that the newest version of ADMB is elsewhere.
People are still downloading old stuff from there.