[ADMB Users] Open ADMB for Windows with MinGW

Schnute, Jon Jon.Schnute at dfo-mpo.gc.ca
Wed Dec 10 12:34:11 PST 2008

Thanks, Dave. That's very helpful. I agree completely with your strategy
for making installation easy and allowing multiple versions of ADMB to
run independently on the same computer. Given your reply and that from
Johnoel this morning, I think I'll adopt your version mentioned on the
thread:

http://groups.google.com/group/admb-users/browse_frm/thread/eb9e4e6fc79f
d398,
i.e., http://otter-rsch.com/admb-org-rc/setupADMB_gcc432_mingw32.exe

as the interim Windows version for now, designed to run with gcc 4.2.1
from Rtools28. I'll also follow the progress of the official Windows
versions as they appear on http://code.google.com/p/admb-project/.

I'm trying to interest a group of users here, and I need something that
they will adopt readily on their Windows systems. They would very much
appreciate a similar interim version for the Borland compiler, if that's
possible.

I have a small question. Your interim version makes a registry setting
for ADMB_HOME. Does that setting actually get used by the software at
any point?

Thanks again,
Jon

PS - In the long run, I can imagine distros of ADMB similar to the
distros of Linux, designed by various user groups to have distinct
features of installation and operation. The core would remain the same,
but the "look and feel" would change.