[ADMB Users] Examples of multilevel multiprocess model

Shige Song shigesong at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 17:17:02 PDT 2009

Dear Hans,

Many thanks for the response. I have about 40,000 mothers and about 150,000
children. For each child, we know whether s/he has survived to age 10 and,
if not, age at death. Now I want to estimate a joint model with three random
intercept logistic regression on (1) if a child died at infancy (age at
death <1), (2) if a child died in age 1-5, and (3) if a child died in age
6-10. It is easy to estimate these models separately, assuming Gaussian,
non-Gaussian, or a non-parametric heterogeneity at mother-level. The
difficulty arises when I try to estimate these equations jointly. For
multivariate Gaussian heterogeneity, there is aML and Sabre (in theory
GLLAMM can also do it but it is too slow to be practical); but none of them
handles multivariate non-Gaussian heterogeneity. ADMB seems to be the only
hope at this moment (besides programming the whole thing in Fortran).

In this particular case, the joint model is important because the
correlations between the heterogeneity terms are of substantive interest.

Best,
Shige