[ADMB Users] ADMB for VC 2008 express on 64 bit windows
n.taylor at fisheries.ubc.ca
Tue Nov 24 20:12:43 PST 2009
I've been using ADMB on a 64 bit machine with windows visual studio 2005 but have been wanting for some time to update ADMB to the most recent versions. I successfully managed to install admb-9.0.435-win64-vc9-64bit for the free Microsoft Visual Studio 2009 Express compilerv(VC9). On 64 bit machines this is a convoluted affair, because the standard visual studio 2008 express version does not actually have a 64 bit compiler. You can still freely obtain one from Microsoft however, I thought i'd share my experience for all to learn.
Installing ADMB for Visual C++ 2008 Express on PC Machines with 64 bit windows
1. Install VC express from http://www.microsoft.com/Express/VC/ - NOTE you will not get 64 bit compilers with the standard version see notes 2-4 below. Have a beer - this takes some time.
2. Download Windows SDK for Windows Server 2008 and .NET Framework 3.5. Have a another beer - the web install will take some time.
3. Restart your computer
4. **The x64 compilers will probably still not have installed, if not then
- Go to control panel, add/remove programs and select microsoft windows sdk for windows server 2008
- choose the change option
- Scroll down to developer tools makes sure that the Visual C++ compiler option is selected - if not select it. The SDK package contains the 64 bit compilers.
- Install the SDK VCC compilers
- Restart your computer
5. There are many issues associated with compiling 64 bit applications using visual C++ 2008 express edition. There are discussed at some length at
Read the entire post. Fortunately, someone was kind enough to write some batch files that automatically change registry entries to automatically enable 64bit programming in VC express.
Batch files to modify both AMD64 and IA64 are included. Do not run these batch files until the entire VC express installation is complete.
Download it here: http://suma.soulogic.com/dl/VCE64BIT.zip
6. Extract VCE64BIT.zip to C:\ (it will ONLY work in c:\)
7. Run setup_x64
8. Download and install admb-9.0.435-win64-vc9-64bit from the admb home page
9. The main problem is that this version ADMB expects that the SDK libraries will be in the platform sdk directory. With visual studio express they are not. For bewildering reasons, they are instead in 32 bit program files " C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\lib\amd64" so
- tpl2cpp worked
- mycl worked
- linkcl did not work until i modified
cl %1.obj df1b2stubo.lib admod32.lib ado32.lib adt32.lib /link /libpath:"%ADMB_HOME%"\lib REM/libpath:"%MSSDK%"\lib
cl %1.obj df1b2stubo.lib admod32.lib ado32.lib adt32.lib /link /libpath:"%ADMB_HOME%"\lib /libpath:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\lib\amd64"
I couldn't figure out how to properly modify the admb.bat to make it work with these modifcations so have just compiling using makeadm.bat and the modifications to the files above.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Users