[ADMB Users] PBSadmb - an R interface for ADMB

Schnute, Jon Jon.Schnute at dfo-mpo.gc.ca
Thu Nov 26 18:24:54 PST 2009

My colleagues and I are pleased to announce that we finally have a
version of the R package PBSadmb available on both CRAN (
http://cran.r-project.org/) and our Google Code site (
http://code.google.com/p/pbs-admb/). It should work with all supported
operating systems (Windows, Linux, MacOS X).  I enclose a copy of the
new User's Guide so that you can read about it easily. As explained in
the Introduction and Appendix A, a number of packages may need to be
installed in support of PBSadmb. We've tried this on numerous Windows
systems, one Linux system, and one Mac. Hopefully, everything will work
OK with the instructions in Appendix A, but we're certainly interested
in learning about problems.

Please notice that the primary goal of PBSadmb is to make every aspect
of ADMB available from an R console, rather than a DOS command window or
a bash shell. We want R users to experience ADMB as just another R
application, where commands to make executable files from templates can
be mixed among commands that manipulate data, perform file I/O, and
construct plots. Our standards for writing the REPORT_SECTION of a
template can make the link between ADMB and R particularly seamless.
(See Displays 1, 2, and 3 in the User's Guide.)

We believe that ADMB has huge potential in fields both inside and
outside the fisheries context. If we can reach the broad R community, we
think that ADMB might gain a much wider audience.

Best wishes to all,

Jon

PS to technical experts - In order to make PBSadmb work with additional
compilers and operating systems, we need help extending the database of
script commands documented in Appendix B.

Jon Schnute, Scientist Emeritus

Pacific Biological Station

3190 Hammond Bay Road

Nanaimo, BC V9T 6N7