[ADMB Users] ADMB error messages

k.curti kiersten.curti at gmail.com
Wed Apr 28 12:03:41 PDT 2010

Hi-

I have a general question regarding admb error messages (I'm using the
most recent version of ADMB and have tried both the Borland and GNU
compilers).  In several of my model runs, I obtain the following error
message in the captured tool output, but my other model diagnostics
appear acceptable.

"ic > imax  in fminim is answer attained ?"  ...followed by a set of
derivative/gradient information and then...
"Function minimizer not making progress ... is minimum attained?
Minimprove criterion =   0.0000e+00"

Sometimes I receive this message at the end of an intermediate
parameter estimation phase, and sometimes I receive it at the end of
the final estimation phase.  In one of my recent runs I received the
above error in the last two estimation phases, but the maximum
gradient component was 0.0020, the Hessian matrix was positive
definite, and the maximum parameter correlation was -0.7130.  Is this
error message a show-stopper when it appears at the end of the last
estimation phase, or can it be ignored since the other diagnostics
seem acceptable?  In addition, can anyone possibly recommend
additional diagnostics that can be used to further deduce where the
problem is in my model?

Many thanks