[ADMB Users] ADMB and hierarchical (multi-level) models

Saang-Yoon shyunuw at gmail.com
Fri Aug 13 14:33:55 PDT 2010

Hi, Mark.
Thank you very much for your response.  Your answer is helpful, but
still I am not sure about whether ADMB really can do a multi-level
(hierarchical) modeling.  Beside the likelihood function in the above
example, I have another likelihood function of newY.  In this case,
newY is really a parameter.  The newY is decomposed to four age groups
(say, newY1, newY2, newY3, and newY4; i.e., newY =
newY1+newY2+newY3+newY4).  Given age-catches, I have a multinomial
likelihood function of (newY1/newY, newY2/newY, newY3/newY, newY4/
newY).   Call the likelihood function L0.

To clarify my inquiry, I combine this current and previous
components.
(1)  L0 = L(newY1/newY, newY2/newY, newY3/newY, newY4/newY | age-
specific catches)

(2)  L1 = L(beta0, beta1, sigma2 | observed Ys, observed Xs)

(2)  Prior1 = Pr(newY | beta0, beta1, sigma2, newX).
Strictly speaking this is not a likelihood function, but a predictive
function.  I apply the predictive function as a prior for newYs.

Finally I sum the respective logarithm of these above functions.
f = – logL0 – logL1 – logPrior1;

Then, estimates of beta0, beta1, and sigma2 are affected by newYs as
well as observed Ys and observed Xs; again this is WRONG!!!.  Because
of L0, I have to declare newYs as free parameters, do I not?  In this
example, beta0, beta1, and sigma2 are hyper parameters, and thus they
must NOT be affected by parameters and data at a lower level.  I am
extremely curious about how you or other ADMB experts get around this
problem.  Again thank you very much for your response.  Best,

Saang-Yoon