[ADMB Users] ADMB and hierarchical (multi-level) models

Saang-Yoon shyunuw at gmail.com
Mon Aug 16 16:42:30 PDT 2010

Dear ADMB users.

While I have been obsessed with this problem, I come up with the idea
of using the excellent package of “PBSadmb” created by Dr. John
Schnute and his colleague at Pacific Biological Science Center, B.C.,
Canada.  PBSadmb enables us to run an ADMB program within R.  If given
hierarchical models, we can break the whole process into a series of
sub-set models.  Using the package of PBSadmb, we can run the subset
ADMB models inside R.  In doing this way, estimates of hyper
parameters are not affected by data and parameters at lower levels,
and those hyper parameter estimates affect along only one way (i.e.,
only toward the lower levels).  Thanks to PBSadmb, now we can combine
ADMB and R together.  I was VERY happy using PBSadmb, and I greatly
thank Dr. John Schnute  and his colleague for the package as well as
ADMB developer (Dr. Fournier).

However, if someone has a better idea about how to code hierarchical
models in ADMB, please let me know.

Saang-Yoon