[ADMB Users] sdreport mystery

Paul.Conn at noaa.gov Paul.Conn at noaa.gov
Wed Feb 10 06:12:36 PST 2010

Hi Rick (and others),

Thanks for the responses!  I am getting reasonable point estimates of MSY parameters, so that is why I was so confused.

Looking back at the MSY part of our code, I think I'm seeing the reason why this is happening - the function we're using to calculate MSY uses a fine spaced grid to calculate SY for different levels of F and then returns the maximum - so F/FMSY isn't continuous w.r.t. the other parameters in the model - instead it's a step function.  So it appears I'll need to try replacing that with an internal continuous maximization algorithm, if possible.

All this comes up because we had been using bootstrapping to get at variance but were interested in how the asymptotic variance from the Hessian compared.

Cheers (and thanks!),
Paul