[ADMB Users] glmmADMB errors in R on Mac

Shawn McCracken frocga at gmail.com
Sun Nov 7 06:57:25 PST 2010

Problem solved - Thanks Dave

The solution that worked for me:

I used the binaries Dave sent in admbfiles.zip in the post above.
First, I copied them to my desktop and unzipped.
Opened Terminal and typed the following to direct it to run nbmm in the
expanded folder and confirm it would run:

ShawnMBP:$ /Users/Shawn/Desktop/admbfiles/nbmm     #of course you will need
to change this to navigate to where it is on your computer#
Error trying to open data input file /users/shawn/desktop/admbfiles/nbmm.dat
 Error trying to read in model data
 This is usual caused by a missing DAT file

Dave said the error message comes from ndmm looking for the data file to use
but it is running.

I then located where glmmADMB had originally placed these same named files
when I did the install of glmmADMB. I can¹t remember how I found where they
were and spotlight won¹t show them either. I think I did a search just for
³R² and found a R.framework folder in the Library folder. I looked through
there and found them in a folder called admb here:

MBP_SFM>Library>Frameworks>R.framework>Versions>2.11>Resources>library>glmmA
DMB>admb

I then replaced the nbmm and bvprobit files that were there with the ones
provided by Dave.
Started up R, loaded glmmADMB, viewed the epil2 dataset, and then ran the
example model and it ran fine!

My system: Macbook Pro, Mac OSX 10.6.4, R 64-bit

Hope this helps.

Shawn