[ADMB Users] ADMB in 10 mins

Arni Magnusson arnima at hafro.is
Wed Sep 15 11:45:50 PDT 2010

Hi Mark,

Last April, I was in a similar situation. The instructor of an R modelling
class offered me 10 minutes to present what ADMB is about.

I frantically put together a short slideshow, which I have now uploaded to
http://admb-project.org/community/outreach.

Given my audience, I kept it on a simple level: "ADMB is fast, flexible,
and reliable - but somewhat tricky to learn and use."

I ended my presentation with a quick demonstration (last slide in
admb_vigo.pdf), where I compiled and ran a couple of models, tweaked the
phases and initial values, and finally plotted the model fit and MCMC
chains in R. Too fast to describe the details, but enough to explain the
workflow.

It sounds like you are thinking of a more advanced audience, familiar with
optimization concepts, but maybe you can borrow something from my outline.
In my case, the audience was very receptive and some contacted me
afterwards to get them started.

Arni

P.S. The "pella" model I demonstrated is a model I wrote, with a more
elaborate user interface than the standard "pella-t" example. I used it
because it is easy to explain (easier than pella-t), and it has MCMC
capability, nicely formatted output, and a control file to set initial
values, limits, and phases. I will release the "pella" model on
http://admb-project.org/examples later this year.