[ADMB Users] ADMB in 10 mins

dave fournier davef at otter-rsch.com
Wed Sep 15 09:14:10 PDT 2010

I think that the only way to convince most people is to show them
a model that they are already familiar with and are interested in.
Then if it runs say 100 times faster and better they may begin to get
a little bit convinced.

I spent 15 years mostly unsuccessfully trying to convince people
outside of fisheries that ADMB could solve their problem faster.
In fisheries I had a bit more success because I knew the field and
could formulate models that everyone was already familiar with.

However once you move outside of the field other people just
don't get convince by the model. I posted a simple fisheries model
that ran about 1000 times faster in ADMB than in R. The major
reaction was hostility and ad hominem attacks. People just don't want
to know!