[ADMB Users] ADMB & R

Rubén Roa rroa at azti.es
Wed Aug 24 01:29:24 PDT 2011

Hi Laurie,

I am very interested and I think it would eventually become a standard in nonlinear modeling: control everything from R but when it comes to optimization, call an ADMB executable, a dll, or the C++ code created by makeadm. This is the plan with my R package CatDyn, available on CRAN. The current first version is a pure R implementation, that uses the recent package optimx for greater flexibility in selecting a numerical method and for numerical diagnostics such as the Karesh-Kuhn-Tucker optimality criteria. The next version of the package will give the choice to optimize using ADMB code instead of R's numerical methods. The model procedure I have in mind is:
1) pre-processing of data, and selection of initial parameter values with a toy version of the model in R,
2) optimization with ADMB code but controlled from R, with ADMB behind the scene, and
3) capture of results, model diagnostics, and plotting results in R.
So I'm very interested in your work. If I can be of help I'd be glad,

Rubén

Rubén H. Roa-Ureta, Ph. D.
AZTI Tecnalia, Txatxarramendi Ugartea z/g,
Sukarrieta, Bizkaia, SPAIN