[ADMB Users] mceval output inconsistent with mcmc display

dave fournier davef at otter-rsch.com
Thu Jun 9 21:16:05 PDT 2011

On 11-06-09 07:34 PM, Campbell, Alex wrote:

So if I understand this you think the value should be closer to the mode.
Intuition about this is wrong.  In high dimensions you never get
anywhere near the mode.
Think of a standard n dimensional multivariate normal. You can easily
see that
the pdf for the distance r from 0 is prop. to r^{n-1}*exp(-r2/2}.
Do a quick calc to see what the probability is that you will get to
within distance 1
of 0 when the dimension is 100. You may be surprised.