[ADMB Users] gradient_structure problem with nbinom glmm.admb in R

Rafael Mares crm53 at cam.ac.uk
Sun Jun 12 05:11:32 PDT 2011

Hi Mollie

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm trying to run an intercept only model
with individual identity (group="id") and group identity
(random=~group) as random effects. I have 230 individuals and 15
groups (14 - 200 individuals per group, and 1 - 60 measures per
individual). I usually use lme4, where I would have individuals nested
in groups (as individuals are unique to groups), but I am aware that
this isn't possible with glmmADMB (or at least not obvious), so I am
just trying to specify them as two separate random effects (two
sources of variation for the intercept)... hopefully this makes sense.
Maybe I'm not specifying this correctly in the model - I'm not yet too
familiar with the notation in glmm.admb

I can run the model with ' random=~1, group="id" ' with no problem,
but that leaves my group identities out of the picture. Any
suggestions?

Thanks again for your help and interest.

Raff

--
Rafael Mares
Large Animal Research Group (LARG)