[ADMB Users] gradient_structure problem with nbinom glmm.admb in R

Mollie Brooks mbrooks at ufl.edu
Mon Jun 13 19:59:46 PDT 2011

Hi Raff,
If that's what you want, then you are miss specifying the model and changing the max nvar offset won't help.
In lme4 you would specify a random effect as (effect|group) in your case an intercept is an effect of 1 (constant) and you want nested grouping variables. For a quick reference see http://glmm.wikidot.com/faq and scroll down to model specification.

The old version of glmm.admb (the one you're running) can't handle multiple grouping variables, but see http://glmmadmb.r-forge.r-project.org/
You'll have to switch to the new version to get the model you want and an added bonus is that the syntax is more like lme4 which you're used to.

cheers,
Mollie