[ADMB Users] help with glmmADMB ZI; function maximizer failed

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 13:22:39 PST 2011

  Dave Fournier and I have been discussing this and have so far not been
able to figure out what's going wrong.  When I run this on my system
(3.2G RAM virtual Linux system running under VMware), there seems to be
a small memory leak but even after 15-20 minutes (when the program
finishes) it does not use more than about 20% of memory.  Some ideas for
diagnostics:

  * can you look at the Windows task manager/performance tab as you
attempt to run the model and see how much memory the system reports
being used?

  * can you download

http://www.math.mcmaster.ca/bolker/misc/glmmadmb.exe
http://www.math.mcmaster.ca/bolker/misc/glmmadmb.dat

  save them into a temporary working folder/directory; run

./glmmadmb

from a command window; and see what happens?  These are the 32-bit
Windows executable and the data file corresponding to your problem --
they *should* behave just the same as when you ran glmmADMB from within
R, and if they fail the same way then we will have ruled out one layer
of complexity.

  Ben Bolker