[ADMB Users] 3d ragged array with RE

Mollie Brooks mbrooks at ufl.edu
Mon Feb 20 13:04:49 PST 2012

Hi,
I'm tying to figure out a way to work around not being able to use a ragged array in my random effects model. I've tried 2 alternatives and run into problems with each.

I had been using an object
3darray varcov(1,nponds,2,nobs,2,nobs)
to store the variance covariance matrix for the observations of all the ponds. nobs is an ivector of length nponds. I got that matrix out as varcov(p).

ALTERNATIVE 1
I tried making a large 3d array that was large enough to cover the various sizes
3darray varcov(1,nponds,2,maxobs,2,maxobs)
To access each submatrix, I tried to use the command varcov(p).sub(2,nobs(p)), but got an error that this is not defined for df1b2 arrays.

ALTERNATIVE 2
Then I tried not defining any varcov array in the parameter section. Instead, in the procedure section, I define
dvar_matrix temp_varcov(2,nobs(p));
calc_temp_varcov(p,temp_varcov); # a function to fill in the values of temp_varcov

The program stops in the middle of calc_temp_varcov without any errors. It stops on the line where I try to store a calculated value in temp_varcov(2,l). See code below. All of the calculations that go into it look fine.

I've also tried the function definition
FUNCTION void calc_temp_varcov(const int & p, dvar_matrix & temp_varcov)

FUNCTION void calc_temp_varcov(const int & p, dvar_matrix temp_varcov)
	cout<<"nobs(p)="<<nobs(p)<<endl;
	for(int l=2; l<=nobs(p); l++)
	{
		cout<<pow(rho, 2*column(tk_minus_b(p),2)(obsdates(1,p)+1,obsdates(l,p)))<<endl;
		cout<<sum(pow(rho, 2*column(tk_minus_b(p),2)(obsdates(1,p)+1,obsdates(l,p))))<<endl;
		temp_varcov(2,l)=sigmaSq*sum(pow(rho, 2*column(tk_minus_b(p),2)(obsdates(1,p)+1,obsdates(l,p))));
		cout<<"not ok here"<<endl;
		temp_varcov(l,2)=temp_varcov(2,l);
	}

Any idea how to make either of these alternatives work? Or any other ideas?
thanks,
Mollie

Mollie Brooks
Ph.D. Candidate