[ADMB Users] ADMB 64 MS visual 10 -- Building DLL issues

Arni Magnusson arnima at hafro.is
Mon Jan 16 16:32:53 PST 2012

Hi Naji,

I believe the DLL compilation is broken on most platforms - but probably
not all.

Many years ago, Dave Fournier implemented fully working DLL compilation on
all ADMB platforms (e.g. ADMB 5.0 in 2000). My understanding is that Dave
did not continue to maintain this feature, because it took a lot of effort
and it looked like few or no users were compiling ADMB DLLs.

When I wrote the adcomp/adlink/admb scripts in 2009, I decided to provide
the -d option, knowing that the feature was at least half-broken. The idea
is to highlight a feature that can probably be resurrected - and of course
to provide DLL compilation on the few platforms where it still works.

The development team has only allocated limited efforts to examine the
issue of DLL compilation, but encourages interested users to do so.
Several discussions can be found on
http://groups.google.com/group/admb-users/search?group=admb-users&q=dll

This should probably be an ADMB FAQ entry, and the DLL chapter in the
manual could be updated...

DLL compilation could definitely streamline the process of interfacing
ADMB with other software, and might result in creative applications beyond
our imagination.

Arni