[ADMB Users] training video basic operation

Arni Magnusson arnima at hafro.is
Wed Jan 18 10:46:48 PST 2012

I run into the same problem as Jacob, but only in Linux.

   [Windows] the test vector is  -99 100 -101
   [Linux]   the test vector is  0 0 0

The problem seems to caused by the .dat file, which contains Dos line
endings. The short-term solution is to convert the line endings:

   $ dos2unix growth_loglike.dat

I hope the long-term solution will be to make ADMB data file parser more
robust. To examine the problem I changed the model to

DATA_SECTION
   init_int nobs
   !! SHOW(nobs);
   init_matrix vonBdata(1,nobs,1,2)
   !! SHOW(vonBdata);
   init_vector testvec(1,3)
   !! SHOW(testvec);

PARAMETER_SECTION
   init_number t0
   objective_function_value nll

PROCEDURE_SECTION
   nll = square(t0-1.0);

GLOBALS_SECTION
   #define SHOW(x) cout << #x << ": " << x << endl;

It looks like the problem arises when three conditions are met:

   1. Model is run in Linux
   2. Data file has Dos line endings
   3. Data file has empty line between two comments

Thanks for reporting this problem, Jacob. You can use the 'dos2unix' shell
command to fix the problem for now.

Arni