[ADMB Users] MVN Example?

Mollie Brooks mbrooks at ufl.edu
Wed Mar 14 16:39:02 PDT 2012

Hi Chris,
I'm doing an MVN model. My procedure section looks like this
PROCEDURE_SECTION
	for(int i=1; i<=ncoeffs; i++)
	{
		coeffs(i)=ucoeffs(i)*scale(i);
	}
	nLL=0;
	for(int p=1; p<=nponds; p++)
	{
		calc_predictions(p);
		calc_varcov(p);
		dvar_vector diff=predictions(p)-obs(p);
		dvar_matrix tmp_varcov=varcov(p);

		nLL+=.5*(nobs(p)*log(2*M_PI)+ln_det(tmp_varcov)+ diff*solve2(tmp_varcov,diff));
	}

The first for loop scales all my coefficients to make it conditioned better.
Then I have observations of a bunch of ponds and each pond is assumed to be independent of the others.
I defined functions calc_predictions() and calc_varcov() to fill in those objects; the code in these is pretty specific to my problem. The important thing fir efficiency is that my covariates are in a design matrix created using model.matrix() in R.

Try using solve() where I have solve2(). If you have a problem with solve, I'll explain the complications of why I used this version.

I hope this helps.
cheers,
Mollie

Mollie Brooks