[ADMB Users] difference between ADMB-RE and R/mgcv in SEs for smoother coefficients in a GAM fitted by maximum likelihood

H. Skaug hskaug at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 13:16:40 PST 2012

I think it is the "variance of the random effect given the data"
data we want. Your second notion of variance,
which in your example has var(uhat) = 0, does not not
correspond to "the uncertainty about u", which
is what people want.

Besides, we need to be consistent internally in ADMB
with what comes out of -mcmc, and that is the first
variant.

Conclusion: I think your variance formula is conceptually correct.

Hans